This project is implemented by the Rural Development Fund, with the financial support of the National Endowment for Democracy (NED).
|Kyrgyzstan border areas are the most distant from the cities. They are economically poorly developed and refer to areas of the highest levels of poverty. Particularly difficult situation is in the ayil aymaqs, state borders are still not demarcated, where ethnic conflicts escalate into violent clashes. Local population of these aymaqs suffers from these conflicts. Such situation is partly fueled by the fact that economic and social problems of the population of the border villages are not solved by local authorities and the government over the years. Lack of government support in protecting their rights and interests makes people to force. This exacerbates the problems and existing conflicts.
The aim of the project is to mitigate conflicts by protecting the rights and interests of citizens and local governments in the Batken region, Batken region, Kyrgyzstan. This area is located on the border with Tajikistan territories without demarcated borders. Protection of rights is going through collection, collation, analysis and lobbying for their rights and interests at the level of the Government and Regional Administration through a network of local governments and community organizations of border areas.
Activities within the framework of the project
– RDF assessed basic needs of the residents of non-demarcated border areas on service provision by local government bodies to mitigate conflicts through a survey and focus group discussions. Women and youth will be included in the focus-groups.
– RDF selected questions that need adjusting and solutions at the government level and regional administrations.
– RDF held a study of local governments’ services to mitigate conflicts; and selected questions that need adjusting and solutions at the level of the government and regional administration.
– RDF promotes the creation of informal network of border local governments of the demarcated areas.
– RDF trains network members on promoting the rights and interests, helps to design strategy of promoting interests of citizens and local government bodies; and contributes to protection the rights and interests of citizens and local government bodies of the strategy, developed by network.
– RDF conducts analysis of the regulatory framework in Kyrgyzstan in order to identify a specific empowerment of residents of border areas.
– RDF conducts an information campaign to raise awareness about special rights and opportunities of residents of border areas.
– RDF assists in the promotion of rights and interests of citizens through creating a network of local authorities and local community-based organizations for the implementation of local strategies.
– RDF conducts a presentation at the district level on identified problems and interests of citizens and local government bodies. This round table will highlight results of the project to attract the government’s attention to these issues and to highlight lessons learned in solving these problems, their use in other border areas.
– Problems of local residents and local government bodies of Batken district of Batken region will be identified and summarized. These problems are linked to limitation of human rights and need to develop and adopt regulations of the residents and local government bodies.
– Information campaign among residents and local government bodies will be a strategy for promoting the rights and interests of the Batken district of Batken region through a network of local government bodies and non-governmental and community-based organizations.
– One of the strategy issues will be selected for advocacy campaigns. It will promote strategy implementation.
Implementation of advocacy campaigns and strategies at the district level will be discussed. This will contribute to expansion of experience and solutions of acute problems of the population in border areas at local and national levels.